Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Lesson in Motivation

Kat and I are learning as we raise our children that they simply aren't the same and you can't apply a one-size-fits-all manual to rearing them. For example, Lily showed an early interest in potty training, beginning at age 18 months, and mastering it before she turned 2. Jake, on the other hand, has shown an aversion to using any type of "facility" other than his diaper.

We have tried on two other occasions to potty train Jake, but failed, always telling ourselves that Jake "wasn't ready yet." Then, a few days ago, I told Kat that if Jake is potty trained by the end of January, I will give her $300 toward an entertainment center she wants, and that she can add, over time, the money we save on Jake's diapers, probably about 30 bucks a month.

Needless to say, Jake was potty trained two days later.

2 comments:

jeanine said...

Jacob... I sure could use that kind of motivation at my house. I DREAD potty training!

Rosalee said...

That's awesome! I'm glad you found a way to motivate Kat... uh, I mean Jake. ;)