Friday, February 10, 2012

Asher's Nursery

I was pretty excited to design a nursery. Unfortunately, I've never really had the chance. All the other places we've lived were so small that the baby's room had to be used as a storage room also and was usually filled with boxes and other things. We were also poor students who didn't have the money to spend on decorating bedrooms.

When I got my chance, I wasn't sure what to do since Asher and Jake will be moved into the same room in about a year or so. I didn't want to do all this work just to have him switch rooms and have to change everything. Then I remembered I had bought dinosaur bedding for both the top and bottom bunk since I got it at a steal of a deal for when the boys were sharing a room so I designed the theme of the room around the bedding. At first I was just going to buy all the extra accessories that go with the bedding, but they have all been discontinued since I bought the bedding and all that was very expensive anyway. I decided to be brave and make everything myself even though I had no clue what I'm doing.

I repainted an old dresser that I used when I was a young girl. Above is a close up of the handles. I used words and designs from the bed sheets. I was nervous about the dinosaur paintings. I have never really painted anything before and I have no artistic ability whatsoever when it comes to drawing and painting. They turned out pretty good as long as you don't look too close and cost me about $4 each instead of $25 each.
This is part of the bed sheet that I got the dino's from. I had to change the colors a little on some of them because I didn't want so many of them green.
Ok ok so I realize that the A looks like a Q, the S is crooked and the A and E look like they are a completely different style of letter but I did my best. I got the striped material from the bed skirt that came with the bedding because I didn't need a bed skirt on the bunk beds. I made the curtains out of cheap bed sheets then jazzed them up with part of the bed skirt that came with the dino bedding.
I had a lot of fun doing this room and am excited to do the other kids room and my room next.

8 comments:

Carol said...

WOW! You are absolutely amazing! I'm so proud of you and your creative abilities. Truly impressive.

Justin and Stacey said...

Way to go Kat! I don't believe you when you say you have no artistic ability. It looks great! And I can't believe Asher is one!! Could he be any cuter?? I think not. What cutie pie!

shiloh said...

You did great work, Kat! I saw the paintings in the photo and assumed you bought them, I didn't know they were homemade until you said something.

Kellie said...

I'm very impressed! I love the pictures you painted. You've got way more artistic talent than you think!

Catherine Faux said...

I was going to say, "Wow! I am very impressed," but I just realized a lot of other comments say that same thing so I am going to say something else. I think you are very creative--especially with the curtains (making them out of sheets=brilliant!) And also the dinosaur pictures are really good.

Marilyn said...

Cute! Great job. I like the drawer handles.

Nicole said...

Really neat room Kat! I'm glad you enjoyed the project! I also agree with everyone above, you are creative and you do have talent! Also, I love how the "A" and "E" are a different style, I think it makes it more fun! I can't wait to see what you do in the other rooms!!

Mary said...

I think it looks so cute! And those paintings are AWESOME!