Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Why I Will Support McCain ... (as much as I don't want to)

You all know I'm a Romney guy. I'll also be the first to admit that he was NEVER a perfect candidate, but I thought he was the best of the bunch. Well, it looks pretty much certain that Romney will not win, and McCain will. And as much as I do NOT want to see a McCain / Huckabee ticket against Clinton or Obama or both, that is also very possible.
However, the one reason that every single Republican needs to get behind McCain if he is nominated is this:

You may disagree with whatever you want, but the Supreme Court has 6, yes, 6 justices over the age of 68. In the next four years, it is very likely that at least one of them will either retire or die. Who do you want to be picking their replacements? Clinton? Obama? No. Trust me. If there is a conservative, constitutionalist bone in your body, you do not. Therefore, you have to conclude that the only logical thing to do is support McCain and make sure he beats the Democratic nominee. Supreme Court justices have an incredible amount of impact on our country. As it currently stands, the court is fairly balanced between conservative and liberal leaning members, but the appointment of even one liberal judge will tip the balance opening the way for activist judges who want to legislate. What is the solution? Support McCain.

No comments: