Saturday, January 17, 2009

What is it about dads?

When it comes to dicipline, what is it that dads have that moms don't? It seems that kids are always afraid to disobey dad but they couldn't care less what mom says or does. Lately I have been frustrated because I can't get Lily to do anything I say. I try to sound as stern as possible but she just smiles and continues on with what she is doing like it's some kind of game. I need to take lessons from Jacob. All he has to do is say it once and whatever he is asking of her is done in about two seconds.  I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I always follow through with the punishment I say I will do if the behavior continues and she knows I will do it but for some reason or another she just doesn't care. In fact the other day she kept hitting me and I told her if she did it again I would put her in time out. She walked right over to me with a little smirk on her face and hit me. Then she walked to her room and held her arms out waiting for me to pick her up and put her in her crib where she has time outs. Whenever Jacob can hear a little argument I am having with her, he comes to help and as soon as she hears him coming she cries because she knows she is doing something wrong and that now she has to answer to dad. I just can't figure it out because Jacob is far more patient and loving in his ways of dealing with these situations than I am but for some reason he is more intimidating. Anyway as you can see I am just having a rough day. This pregnancy has taken a turn for the worst so I am never feeling well and I can't figure out why my sweet , loving, snuggly little baby girl won't stop hitting me. Ugh!

11 comments:

Carol said...

Which is why kids need a DAD and a mom. Say what you want about Ann Coulter, she definitely makes her point about single moms.

Don't worry. Lily is just testing the waters. Keep being consistent and she'll settle down. Sorry you're feeling so lousy. This too, shall pass.

Carol said...

Which is why kids need a DAD and a mom. Say what you want about Ann Coulter, she definitely makes her point about single moms.

Don't worry. Lily is just testing the waters. Keep being consistent and she'll settle down. Sorry you're feeling so lousy. This too, shall pass.

Carol said...

Why did this post twice? Sorry 'bout that.

Catherine Faux said...

yeah that's where we are as well. I wonder if it's a daddy daughter thing. Who knows??? but it gets to me too. Good luck!

Kari said...

I know exactly how you feel--Paul can almost always settle things down when I can't--makes me feel totally incompetent as a mom. I suspect, though, that your last line answers your own question--Lily doesn't like the fact that you're not feeling well, that may be why she's hitting you. With both Peter's and Kate's arrivals, Ruth has been great with them and horrible to me. Same with Peter. Best of luck to you, hang in there.

Unknown said...

My manhood is officially in question if this post is true. Call me mama, cause my kids don't seem phased by the "suggestions" I seem to be bothering them with.

stacie said...

man, I hear ya. jack has become quite the hitter/screamer. he doesn't listen to matt all the time, but he definently takes him more seriously than he does me. whenever I try to discipline him he looks at me like he thinks I'm a joke. ah, good times being a mom.

Carebear's Thoughts said...

Hang in there. Things will settle down. I may not have kids of my own but I have taken care of enough of them to see this stage. How much longer before you have the baby?

Michal Thompson said...

It is just a daddy- daughter thing. There is some connection. My husband doesn't have the same power over my son.

Ashley said...

Isn't adorable how much little girls idolize their daddies? Adorable and frustrating all at the same time:) She's sure a doll though.

Hey, I want that calinetics stuff. Is it a video, or just a routine? Let me know for sure!!!!!
love ya kat!

The Breakwell Family said...

Hang in there! Hope you feel better soon too, Kat. I had such a tough pregnancy too so I can relate...and I can only imagine how much more difficult it would be taking care of another kid at the same time. We love you guys and miss you!