Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Let's Talk Twilight

My whole point in re-bringing up the Twilight thing is just to find SOMEONE out there who agrees with me. I tried reading the book. I got through 300 hundred pages, and I guess what did me in was the 300th description of Edward's weird eye color and perfect skin and perfect teeth and amazing smell and sparkly color COMPOUNDED with the fact that Bella learns that he watches her while she sleeps and she doesn't care. What girl out there actually LIKES being stalked?

In the end I found it too much to suspend my disbelief that (while vampires exist) a girl can be superficial enough to love a guy who 1. totally ignores for the first six weeks they know each other, 2. stalks her, 3. tries to read her mind, 4. sucks other creatures' blood, 5. will never die, and 6. really knows nothing about her for the first while just because he looks (and smells) "sooooo good." --- Teen Girl Squad voice.

What don't I get? Am I just jealous that she's selling books and has a sweet movie deal and I'm not /don't? Is it a girl thing, because my brother likes them . . . I don't know. I'm not even against vampire novels. I'm not against romance. I don't even think I'm against vampire romance. But there's something about Twilight . . . that really gets under my non-sparkly skin. I hope that when the day comes that I do get published, all these girls who go ga-ga over Twilight will jump on my bandwagon, because DANG. I could finally drop out of dental school.

9 comments:

Janelle said...

I don't think it's just a girl thing, because I have absolutely no interest in them at all. I also have never had any interest in reading the Harry Potter books, so maybe it's a desire to not be a bandwagoner. I also know myself well enough to know that I wouldn't be able to suspend reality long enough to make it through 2 chapters of a vampire novel.

Anonymous said...

Get over it Jake! The girl can be annoying sometimes, but Edward is awesome!

Becky said...

I agree with Shannon, who I have always thought her to be a pretty good judge when it comes to books. Plus, most girls always have a soft sensitive side when it comes to bad/good boys. Most girls at one point of time has had a crush on at least one.

Adam said...

in the third book all three of the characters get on my nerves. the reason why I like/d them is because they were easy reads and I didn't really have to think about what was going on (sometimes I just need books like that). but now after some experiences at college I don't know if I can stand another book about a stupid love triangle. Although, I will say that I will finish reading the series.

Jacob said...

Hey, woah humans who love vampires! I was looking for people to back me up here. That means Becky, Shannon, Becca, and Adam should all either change their opinions or leave-o no comment-o.

Emily N said...

So, I became a little obsessed with the Twilight series. I don't think they are the best written books, and a lot of her descriptive phrases get awfully repetitive- especially reading the three existing books in a short amount of time. However, the story just pulled me under and, annoying writing quirks aside, I'm happy I got seduced. Can't wait for book 4! And the movie!

shiloh said...

Hahahahahaha. Jacob, I love this post. 1) Because everything you said about Twilight is absolutely true.
and 2) Because I like the books in spite of it all.
The writing isn't great. No girl would want to be stalked. Edward and Bella never really had a solid relationship. It was based on infatuation to begin with, and probably still is. But I guess I'll have to read the 4th book the day it comes out just to be sure. :)

courtney said...

I just read the twilight books and i like edward better than Jacob!! and cant wait for the fourth book and movie!! go on www.stepheniemeyer.com to find out more stuff!!

Jacob said...

Thanks for advertising to us!