Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Are we crazy?


The answer is yes. We are crazy. At least that is how I have been feeling these last few days. We have decided to potty train Lily. I didn't want to right now because she is only 19 months old, but the truth is it was her idea. It got to the point where I couldn't even go to the bathroom without her barging in, glaring at me and then trying to push me off so that she could "sit" as she calls it. She also hates wearing a diaper and I was getting so tired of her taking off her diaper because then I would spend the next 10 minutes wrestling her to get it back on and then clean up the little puddles I would find on the floor. Not to mention the times she took it off in bed when she was supposed to be sleeping and smeared number two all over. Today is day three on training. The first day was a complete failure and I decided that night after she went to bed that I would give up and try again in a few months. The next morining I went to the grocery store right after breakfast and when I got home I found that Jacob was still continuing the training. This time we didn't put pull ups on her. We rolled up the rug (which is the only carpeting in the whole house) and let her run around "commando" as my brother-in-law, Ryan, would say. That day was spent sitting in the bathroom with her reading books for long periods of time just to have her get off the toilet and pee on the floor a few seconds later. Again I thought she was too young and that it was hopeless. Later that evening a few light bulbs seemed to turn on in her young little mind. She kept going to the laundry basket and pointing to her many pairs of pants that she had wet and would say " Wet. NO. Wet. NO." So I decided to continue on to day three. This morning she had been drinking a ton and saying "Potty. Sit." but it was still a hit and miss for the first few hours until finally she started taking off her clothes and saying "sit" again so I sat her on the potty and this time put her feet in a bowl of warm water. It took a few minutes but she FINALLY went in the toilet. Too bad Jacob had just stepped out to deliver some Christmas treats. She got some m&m's and now she walks around clapping her hands saying, "Yay chocolate." She went one more time in the potty before her nap and was proud of herself. Now I have a little break while she is sleeping so I think I'll go take a snooze myself.

5 comments:

Carol said...

Bless your heart for even trying to do this when she is so young. She certainly was giving all the signs of being ready, and she is such a smart girl that I know she'll catch on in no time. Patience is a virtue! Good luck!

becca said...

Wow, Kat, way to hang in there. I would have given up on day one. Keep going though, it sounds like she is making progress. Go Lily!

Emily N said...

You are crazy. But it seems to be working, so props to you. And her. Sally still wears the diaper every day. She's "used" the potty twice. I know it's about time to really go at it, but I'm having a hard time motivating myself to do so. We'll tget there one day.

shiloh said...

This is awesome. While she is young, it's definitely doable. My mom tells me I potty trained at that age. And since Lily has so much interest in toileting you might as well roll with it before the interest fades. Good luck!

Marilyn said...

That is a cute little story. I love the fact that she has a cell phone to her ear. That is too funny. She seems to be a very independent little one!