Thursday, October 4, 2007

Scary Movies

Keeping with the new tradition of regular posts even if it's just to say hello, I thought I'd make a small mention of my favoritest scary movies. I'll include both recent and old. If you haven't seen them and you like scariness. Check these out:

Definitely one of the most intense American films ever made. I saw this as a freshman in college, and it is the only time in my life that I have literally jumped out of my seat in fright. This is not a movie to watch alone. The performances by Audrey Hepburn and Alan Arkin are incredible. Wait Until Dark is not just a film, it's an experience. Only problem: it's never as good the second time. I watched it again five or six years later, and I couldn't feel that same sense of anxiety that I had the first time. Though I won't post a separate blog for it, if you like this film I'd highly recommend the French film: Le Boucher. It has a very similar feel to it, and is quite intense.



I have not seen all of Alfred Hitchcock's films, but this one is the best. James Stewart and Grace Kelly have great chemistry, and the mosaic stories of the apartments complex make this film one of the most interesting portrayals of a community I've ever seen. I recently rewatched this film with my wife, and I'd forgotten how it constantly keeps you guessing. Very smart, very psychologically intense. Best Hitchcock film ever made.



Do I even need to say anything after showing the poster? I used to be afraid to swim in my swimming pool after I watched these films. If my siblings and I so much as hummed the infamous tune, my brother would start screaming. Ah... good times. Anyways, if you have never seen it, see it.







The reason why I list this among the others is more because of its overall eeriness. To that I credit the amazing directing of David Koepp and the performances of Johnny Depp and John Turturo. This is as much psychological and is it suspenseful, and its ending will chill you to the core.









Last one. What a brilliant performance by John Cusack. I can't wait to see this one again! I hadn't planned on seeing it until a friend invited me to the theater with him, and I'm very glad I went. Awesome! I haven't been so scared at a film since watching Rear Window for the first time. Anyone who loves jumping and starting in films needs to see this.

4 comments:

whitney holland. said...

What is up with the posts! I would like to see pictures of the cute baby and Kat! No more movies and books! J.k. HAHA!

becca said...

Thanks for the letting me know which movies I need to stay away from. I HATE scary movies. Sometimes I wish I didn't, but I really can't watch them. I have nightmares for weeks afterwards. There is part of me that wants to see that 1408 movie though, but I know it would be a bad idea.

michael said...

Wow, I have never seen any of those movies. Thanks for the tips.

mike

Jacob said...

Give into the desire, Becca. See a scary movie. Truthfully, none of these movies are slasher/horror per se, mostly intense/suspenseful, which to me is the superior form.