Friday, July 24, 2009

The Backpack

Jacob has this backpack that he absolutely LOVES. He has been using it since he found it on his mission roughly 8 years ago and who knows how old it was by the time he found it. This thing is falling apart and he refuses to get rid of it because he likes it so much. The zippers are broken and one pouch just hangs open. He has had his wallet and keys fall out of it (luckily it happened on our driveway and we had honest neighbors). It is dirty,worn and the stitching is falling out all over. I have begged and pleaded for him to get a new one but he insists that it will last two more years till dental school is over. Today I was out walking with my friend and we went to a few garage sales. The last one we came to we were not sure we were going to go because it looked like nobody was there and there wasn't much stuff but we decided to go anyway and guess what I found? Yep you got it. The backpack in it's bright and brand new crisp form. It doesn't look like it has even been used and it was only $5. You never know what you will find at those things.

8 comments:

Rosalee said...

That is awesome that you found the same backpack! Hopefully Jacob will start using the new one!

Adam said...

Hahahaha,

First of all, I've heard of grown men being attached to their motorcycles, or their Raiders, or even their dog...but their backpack?

You can chalk this one up with you long list of recent firsts (hehehehe).

Enjoy the newness!

Ashley said...

That's funny! But, I'm curious...will he use it? Sometimes the attachment runs so deep, they still want the old one. What did he think?

Carol said...

Ask dad about the pair of shorts I kept throwing out. He'd retrieve them-and continued to wear them--I'm sure just to bug me. It is amazing that you found the same backpack. Jacob ought to sing your praises and thank you from now until he finishes school--just for making it so he doesn't have to have a new set of keys made when he loses them, as you know he would.

Kristine said...

A true miracle!! I roughly remember an ugly backpack Mike had when we first started dating. My first order of business was to toss it in the trash and buy him a new one. Of course I suppose I'm lucky that he didn't put up much of a fight. However, we've got a serious ugly mission tie situation that he will not back down on.

Anonymous said...

don't you love great finds!

Becky said...

You are a good garage sale buyer to come up with that! Just throw the other one away, and don't tell him.

shiloh said...

Sounds like fate. Congrats. ;)