Friday, July 31, 2009

The old "20$ oil change"

So... we're going to Nebraska tonight and it hits me, "We need to get the car's oil changed before we go." It's one of those things my dad always taught me: you get a tune up before you go on a long trip. After runnings some errands, Kat and I dropped the car off for an oil change. We usually do it ourselves, but my friend who helps me is out of town right now.
About 30 minutes after I get home, the phone rings. "Mr. Jacob, we think you need a new ...."
and my ear starts to hurt. Kat and I had used a good chunk of our savings to go on trips to Baltimore and to Nebraska, plus with her brother deciding to get married in Washington, we've paid for a lot of travel this summer. Maybe too much.
I hate cars. They're money hogs. Money Money Money! But we've been pretty fortunate (blessed) when we look back at it. No accidents, one ticket (going five over???), no major repairs.
All said and done, our little oil change today cost FIVE HUNDRED BUCKS.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Yea, that stinks. Cars are big toilets that we just keep throwing money into. I'm glad you already have the tickets for Utah! When are you coming?