Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Ranking the Pixars

I thought it would be fun, since UP is coming out this week, to rank the Pixar films from worst to best. The funny thing about this is that even the worst film that Pixar has made is still a quality film and worth owning. If you don't agree with the list, write your own and share it with us in the comments section:
#9 Bug's Life

This is the only pixar movie I've seen only once. I can't remember much about it other than that it was decent and had a large fake bird in it. I also remember it came out around the same time as Antz and they may have diluted my desire to see another insect film.
#8 Ratatouille

I enjoy this film, but I find it hard to sit through ALL of it. I really like all the restaurant scenes, particularly the final scene when Anton comes to sample Linguini's food, but I could skip almost half the movie leading up to it.
#7 Wall-E

What can I say? It was a beautiful film, but the story was so-so. It could have been told in about 15 minutes, but instead we had to involve all the fat lazy humans. Not my favorite. I found it hard to believe it got as high approval ratings on RT as it did.
#6 Monster's Inc.

Mike Wazowski steals the show in this movie. I love Billy Crystal's voice work. The film gets bogged down in the non-stop action taking place almost entirely at the Monster's Inc headquarters, and for some reason, I've never enjoyed the movie much past when they get back from being banished.
#5 Cars

Here we get to the films that I could (and sometimes have to) watch over and over again. I love the racing scenes from this film, and they pretty much amount to EVERYTHING I know about professional racing. Love Luigi and Guido.
#4 Toy Story

The film that began it all. Still a great film and will probably be remembered for generations. Did you know this was the very first entire CGI film? Yes, long before Dreamworks and other worthless companies started cranking out CGI films like slap-bracelets, Pixar was the first. Favorite moment: anything with Sid!
#3 Toy Story 2

This is the superior of the two films, in my opinion, which gives me great hope for Toy Story 3 next year. The only flaw in this film is that Jesse could be toned down about 30 decibels and the voice work given to someone OTHER than Joan Cusack. Still, it is what it is, and it's awesome.
#2 The Incredibles

"Where's my super-suit?" and "I'm the greatest good you are ever gonna get!" make this film TERRIFIC. There are so many lines, so many moments, so much greatness about this film. It's part James Bond, part Spider-man, and part drama, and it does everything beautifully. It's hard to believe that Brad Bird directed Ratatouille after this because this film was so much better.
#1 Finding Nemo

Was there any doubt? This film produced the most known characters and had a heart of gold. The storyline is simple but the characters bring it to the forefront. There is never a dull moment in this film, and I'd venture to say it's one of the greatest films ever made. If you're a dentist, it's even funnier.

7 comments:

Rosalee said...

Very interesting choices. I agree with it for the most part, but I like Monsters Inc better than the Incredibles. And I like the toy stories more than Finding Nemo. My top six would probably be #1 Toy Story with Toy Story 2 very close behind at #2. #3 Monsters Inc. #4 Finding Nemo. #5 Cars and then #6 The Incredibles.

Carol said...

Haven't seen all of them, but really liked Toy Story and Nemo. The others were, well, for children, let's say. Of course, when watching them with grandchildren, it is so fun to see their expressions and reactions.

Adam said...

Here's mine... although the first 6are all really close to me... that's just how good Pixar is.

nemo
incredibles
monsters
ts 2
cars
rats
toy story 1
wall-e
bugs life

becca said...

I didn't realize there were that many pixar films. Wow. They really are all great shows. Nemo would be my favorite too. We saw Up last night and it was pretty good. Not as good as Toy Story or Nemo though. Ty was so into it though, it was hilarious!

Michal Thompson said...

Amen, but I think you need to switch Incredibles with Nemo! Personally I like "I would have been going around wearing a big BS"

Marilyn said...

I think I would have to agree on rating Finding Nemo as number one. It had a great story line and I loved the Dori character. :)

Carrie said...

Nemo is wonderful, but Incredibles would need to be #1, Cars #2, Nemo, Monsters, Toy Story 2, Toy Story 1, Wall-E, Rat, Bugs. I do find it interesting that Incredibles is the only film that is rated PG, the rest are rated G. Carrie just commented that Toy Story is number one - I will have to beg to differ.

I do hope that many people loved Rat, because according to Bird, he will only be able to make Incredibles 2 if people liked Rat.

Tyler